Tuesday, January 22, 2008

GO GREEN - SAVE THE PLANET

Just wanted to take a few minutes to remind you of how simple it can be to “GO GREEN” or do a little bit to help “save the planet”. On the Today Show this morning Meredith, Ann, Al and Matt carpooled to work to show some of the things that we need to be doing to help the planet. It was really pretty funny since each one seemed to feel like he/she needed to provide something for everyone (coffee/doughnuts/orange juice). I have not carpooled in years but I don't remember it working quite that way.
I started thinking about the things that I do or have done toward this end. Whenever I buy a new appliance, I buy the one marked Energy Star (I'm not sure you can even buy any other kind these days). I have changed the greatest majority of my light bulbs to the energy-saving fluorescent ones. I have requested that my name and other family members' names be taken off the list to receive junk mail. I try to recycle as many items as possible – our recycle system with the city is not set up to handle all of the recyclables. Anything that can still be used, I make an effort to donate to a charity – Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, ARC, Medina Children's Home, etc.
A couple of summers ago I tried making a compost bin. I was not very good at remembering to keep it wet, turn it over, etc. so it has gone by the wayside. I try to mow the leaves with a mulching mower and do not bag grass clippings. It always amazes me to see how many bags of clippings are put out for the garbage collection.
I have found a couple of websites that have some suggestions for GOING GREEN! Check them out and then think about all of the little things that you are already doing to save the planet. The web addresses are: www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/organizing/green-eco-friendly-tips0606 and www.worldwatch.org/node/3915.
Let me know what you think!

1 comment: