Friday, January 4, 2008

Well Today is the BIG DAY! I have finally decided that if I am going to learn to Blog I have to jump right in and start. I have been contemplating this adventure for many weeks now. It has become a little like diving off the “high dive” for those of you who are my age and remember the “high dive”. The first time I went off – I was pushed! I am beginning to think that I have made starting a Blog into something much scarier than it really is.
I plan to write a lot about how my life has changed since my retirement with a few side bars on my various adventures (cleaning the inside of the fireplace with lemon juice/baking soda/salt combination). This idea came from BBCAmerica on “How Clean Is Your House?” and I couldn't resist trying it out. If you have never watched the show – it is definitely worth checking out.
I have been retired for 6 months now and it seems like 6 weeks at the most. I made sure to have the right tools (my IROBOT Scooba and Roomba) in addition to my new DELL computer with Windows Vista to get me off on the right track. I am amazed at how fast the weeks have flown by. I often feel disoriented without my trusty day planner and am not sure what I should be doing. My husband reminds me that I don't have to do anything on a deadline – there will always be tomorrow.
I love my Scooba and Roomba – they always make me feel like I am getting at least double the amount of housework done (triple if I have them both running at the same time). I had a battery problem with my Scooba and had to wait for a new replacement (on backorder) for a month. I think I suffered from withdrawal symptoms – luckily I got to go on a trip for two weeks of the month. I have really liked having my own computer set up at home instead of work (that imaginary place that I don't go to anymore). I am still getting used to Windows Vista and not having a computer tech on hand when I need help.
The first few weeks, my honorary granddaughter and her cousin stayed with me a couple of days a week. We are very lucky to live in the city of San Antonio, TX and have easy access to public transportation. I bought bus passes and we rode the Via instead of driving in the car and having to park. I love downtown San Antonio with all of it's historical sites and shopping/restaurants, etc. but the cost of parking has shot through the roof in the past couple of years. Back to more positive thoughts: we often rode the Via downtown and then used the trolley to get around. We visited the Hemisphere Park, La Villita, Market Square, and Rivercenter Mall. The girls especially loved riding the trolley – there were some bumpy streets and they quickly discovered that they got an exciting ride (off the seat) if they sat on the back bench. They are still talking about it six months later and making plans for this summer.
At the end of August and into September I was able to go and spend my mother's eighty first birthday with her and my family. We were able to surprise her by having my brothers and sister take her to Nashville, TN for lunch. She thought that was a little strange since she had been asking to go to Paducah, KY . My niece picked me up at the airport and we met them at the restaurant. Mother was totally surprised and a little overwhelmed. I stayed with her for two weeks in McKenzie, TN.
I started playing a little bit with selling on Ebay. Fun – but much more work than I thought. I love being able to make my own postage labels and visiting with new people on Ebay. Everyone has been great!
Fast forward to the end of September and we took my husband to Port Aransas, TX for his 60th birthday. From there it was on to the HOLIDAY months with my mother visiting for Thanksgiving and my family going to Tennessee for Christmas. Here we are in January, 2008 – time to START THAT BLOGGING!

No comments: